Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tomohana - Friendly Flower

Tomohana, Mitsuhana Sr. Maiko

First touch with the Karyukai
"Since I first saw a picture of a maiko, I thought she was so beautiful... I love kimono mostly, so that is how I found out about maiko. When I heard the music and saw the dancing, and their grace, I knew I wanted to learn more myself. I joined Mitsuhana a month after it opened, or less,  if I recall right. A senior maiko I became one month ago."

Duties as a senior 
"It's important for senior maiko to watch their younger sisters and help with teaching, and guiding the others. It's also important to keep vigilant in classes and performances.I teach about kitsuke (dressing in kimono), about music, and various etiquette, mainly. There are many small nuances in how one dresses, that you can spot and tell a lot about a person. For example, looking at me, someone should be able to tell I am dressed formally, and I am a senior maiko about to become a geiko. Even my hairstyle is part of my kitsuke. This pure red and gold collar is only worn by maiko about to become full geiko."

Best in Ozashiki
" Best in Ozashiki is sharing the songs and dances with patrons, because we are passing on traditional Japanese culture to them--the real songs and dances in a traditional setting. People get to relax, have fun, and learn all at once."


Erikae - becoming a Geisha
"I plan on being a jikata... that is a musical accompanist, so I will be singing and playing shamisen. I love the mood and picture that kouta (short songs) invoke, as well as the simple sound of a plucked shamisen. It can be playful or mournful and evoke the times of Edo.

I am looking forward to teaching more and perfecting being a jikata... As a geiko I have to work even harder on my music and performances. Geiko need to be professionals and need to practice all the time.


I think I will take on more responsibility to make sure the okiya stays strong, and the ochaya busy... and from an outside perspective, I hope to be taken seriously as a professional performer. 
I guess I will miss the fun of being a maiko. But being a geiko gives you more freedom too. You can specialize in the classes you want, and take classes when you want. And everyone can look at you as a geiko and know she is a professional."

Tomohana




No comments:

Post a Comment