Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Aisha - The journey of a Shikomi.

Aisha, Mitsuhana Shikomi 

How did it start?
"My name is Aisha, and I have been a Mitsuhana Shikomi for six months now. 
I am interested in Japanese culture and that very much includes the Geisha, women artists.
Because I am from small country in Europe, there is only little knowledge I can gain about Geisha. 
So I joined to learn more!
To be honest, I didn't know anything about the Shikomi life in the Okiya. So I didn't expect anything. I am now glad, I have many wise Older sisters, who teach me a lot every day. Being a Shikomi is really great for me.
I believe Karyukai is kind of a woman "thing". It is a secret and exclusive world. And also traditional arts and japanese aesthetics are everywhere around. 
I love being a Shikomi. First of all because it is a beginning of a journey. I love beginnings. They are so exiting! Also I learn. That I take as a good part. Learning.." 

Is it difficult to be a Shikomi?
"No, not at all! The only thing really hard for me is being absolutely quiet at the lessons. The life of a Shikomi is though hard. But if you look to a brighter future, then everything is easier. When I joined dancing was the most difficult thing to learn. Kitsuke lessons I love!"

Duties?
"I do chores. I clean after Ozashiki, open doors and welcome quests. I prepare tea and lunches. 
Also the Okiya has to stay clean and tidy. I help my Older sisters."

Future plans?
"I look forward in becoming a Minarai. First of all, all the splendor of being dressed for Ozashiki and also to attend one, to learn more in practise. And also no opening doors and cleaning anymore! I also haven't tried Sake before. Every stage in life has it's pluses and minuses. So I think it shall be only different. Some things will be easy, some won't." 

Aisha-san (aishaloo) 















No comments:

Post a Comment